Thanks to a successful year of fundraising and the generosity of our families and the community in 2016-2017, the NHS PTO was able purchase equipment and instructional technology for the school and provide grants to our teachers.
PTO Gifts to NHS in 2016-2017
- Kitchenware and garden tools for the special education life skills class
- Chromebooks, desktop computers, graphing calculators
- Books for the library, English Dept., History Dept., and an entrepreneur class
- Water filling stations
- Peer mentoring program, curriculum development and training
- College fair and college readiness programming
- Touring theater production
- Microwave for the cafeteria
- NHS BikeShare startup locks and paint
- AP testing fees so that all students have access to the tests
- Fine Arts department supplies
Fall 2017 Grants to Teachers
- Annual Student Art Exhibit: reception costs
- College Fair for Juniors: 2 buses
- College Readiness for Parents/Gaurdians of Juniors & Seniors: 2 presenters
- ELL Family Breakfast: ELL Students and family breakfast to build community
- Hydroponics in the Classroom: Materials for a hydroponics growing lab for basil and tomatoes
- Magazines for the NHS Library: Low-level reading material for the library to support ELL, SpecEd, and GOALS student population
- NHS Art Notecards / Notecard Project: Printing postcards of student art which they will sell to fundraise for art supplies and continue the project
- NHS Permanent Art Collection: $100 gift cart for art supplies to 1 student who’s art is then framed ($150) and hung up in the main / guidance area of the school.
- One Revolution Assembly: Inspirational speaker fee
- Teaching with Trout: Set up of a class hatchery.
- Performance Project Tenderness Residencies: “Performance residencies” in which students engage in acting workshops and performance excerpts from the touring production of Tenderness.
- Warning Signs; Understanding Domestic Abuse: Equipment to film VR narratives for a piece to raise domestic abuse awareness.
- Yale Model UN Conference: Advisor and delegate fees and hotel rooms in New Haven.
What else does the PTO do?
- We produce Hamp Highlights, a weekly e-newsletter
- We produce and send the NHS Student Directory
- We maintain the NHS PTO website
- We organize the Teacher Appreciation Luncheon in January and the Teacher Appreciation Breakfast in May