Thanks to a successful year of fundraising and the generosity of our families and the community in 2015-2016, the NHS PTO was able provide grants to our teachers for programs and equipment and purchase state-of-the-art instructional technology for the school.
PTO Gifts to NHS in 2015-2016
- 1 Projector
- Nets for the Ping Pong Cub
- Cameras and camera bags for the Devil’s Advocate student newspaper
- Chess sets for the Chess Club
- Donations to the class of 2016 and 2017
- 30 graphing calculators for the Math Department
- A $2000 grant to the English Department to purchase new books
- An artist stipend for an art and poetry project
- 2 lathes for the wood shop
- 30 Chromebooks and software and a charging security cart
- Software for the Tech Department
- Transportation to performances for NHS chorus, including performances at the elementary schools and JFK
- New drum heads and other percussion equipment
- Sheet music
- New potters’ wheel
- Field trip for art students to MassMOCA
- Supplies for In-school murals
- Synology DiskStation – a data storage system
Fall 2016 Grants to Teachers
NHS Bike Share Program-Catherine Dollard
Request: bike locks, paint, bike pump
In Spring 2017, a bike share program will begin for students needing transportation to an internship or commitment off school grounds.
NHS Biking Club-Brant Jones & Salem Derby
Request: Tools for bike repair
Interested students in the NHS Bike Club will be setting up a bike repair shop to repair student and staff bikes. Students in this program will learn and practice mechanical skills and will pair nicely with the NHS Bike Share program.
College Fair for Juniors-Lisann Giordano & Guidance Dept.
Provide transportation for students to attend National College Fair. Students will gain more info on the range of colleges available and guidance will provide students with a structured approach to evaluating colleges and determining college criteria vs. admission requirements.
College Readiness for Juniors & Seniors-Lisann Giordano & Guidance Dept.
Stipend for the NHS Guidance Dept. to continue to host two presentations to help parents and students in planning for the college admission and financial aid process.
Daily Living Skills Instruction & Transition to Community-Gino Roman
Request: Basic kitchen and gardening supplies and opportunities in community (access to PVTA transportation, community services (shopping) and activities)
Introduce and enhance daily living skills and community opportunities for students in GOALS program.
Student Art Exhibit/School Murals-Lisa Leary
Request: Supplies for art exhibit at Forbes Library and supplies for creation of murals throughout NHS.
AAA Batteries for Graphing Calculators-Beth Adams
Request: Batteries needed for graphing calculators
Graphing Calculators-Allison Keefe
Request: 10 TI-84 Graphing Calculators to support NHS math curriculum
NHS Touring Theater Production of Anti(gone)-Stephen Eldredge & Linda Tardif
Attend Mass Educational Theater Guild High School Theater Festival in Spring 2017 and offer free performances to other NPS schools.
What else does the PTO do?
- We produce Hamp Highlights, a weekly e-newsletter
- We produce and send the NHS Student Directory
- We maintain the NHS PTO website
- We organize the Teacher Appreciation Luncheon in January and the Teacher Appreciation Breakfast in May